Head Gate Attendant (Temporary/Seasonal) – Algonquin Park
Ontario Parks is looking to fill three (3), temporary seasonal recurring positions available at Algonquin Park, Whitney: positions will run from April 13, 2020 – November 8, 2020
Salary: $21.81-$21.27/per hour / 36.25 hours per week
As a member of a Provincial Park team, under general supervision, coordinates the registration of visitors, providing leadership and training to gate staff, provide customer service, assist in performing revenue receiving functions and perform general clerical duties. For the full job
specification please click here.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• coordinate and perform the registration of campers and day use visitors to the park
• provide group leadership and training to gate staff
• provide excellent customer service to clients and guests of the park
• assist with revenue receiving functions
• perform a variety of clerical duties
• perform a variety of duties associated with the operation of the park store
How do I qualify?
• You must have a valid class ‘G’ driver’s licence or equivalent as recognized by the Province of Ontario.
• You are able to work shifts, weekends and holidays as required.
Communication and customer service skills:
• You can provide general direction and leadership to park staff.
• You can provide effective customer service to park guests.
• You can prepare a variety of written correspondence.
Mathematical and cash handling skills:
• You can replenish cash floats, receive cash and credit/debit card transactions.
• You can prepare and reconcile shift summaries and bank deposits.
• You can report revenues in accordance with policy directives and compile statistics on park activities.
• You can perform the duties associated with the operation of the park store including planning, organizing, inventory maintenance and providing direction to student staff working in the store.
• You can effectively liaise with various vendors and perform all aspects of store ordering and purchasing.
• You have organizational and effective time management skills to establish work priorities.
• You are proficient with various computer software applications (e.g. word-processing, spreadsheet, park management, record-keeping, internet, e-mail, etc.).
• You are able to quickly and accurately perform data entry.
Office administration skills:
• You have knowledge of general office administration practices and processes.
• You have the ability to operate and perform minor repairs to a variety of office machines and equipment.
• You have the ability to acquire general knowledge of park operations and related programs and services to issue permits and provide information to gate staff and park visitors.
• You have basic knowledge of workplace safety legislation and regulations (e.g. Occupational Health & Safety Act).
How to apply:
1. You must apply online by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers. You must enter the job
id number in the Job ID search field to locate the job ad.
2. Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
3. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
4. Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
5. OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
6. If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.