Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks – Park Maintenance Work – Algonquin Provincial Park
For 6 Temporary annually recurring seasonal contracts for up to 7 months per year (Apr-Oct)
Job Code: 18608 – Manual Worker
Salary: $20.61 – $22.24 Per Hour
Job ID: 160596
Purpose of Position:
As a member of the Sibbald Point Provincial Park Team, under the general supervision of the Park Superintendent, carry out a variety of duties associated with facility sanitation and general maintenance.
Please note that there will be 2 vacancies in each of the 3 locations below, distance is measured by kilometre markings from the West Gate of Algonquin Provincial Park:
• Canisbay Lake Campground: located on the Highway 60 corridor, at kilometre 23
• Mew Lake Campground: located on the Highway 60 corridor, at kilometre 30.6
• Rock Lake Campground: located 8 kilometers south of Highway 60 kilometre 40, on Rock Lake Road (gravel)
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• provide general groundskeeper and grounds maintenance services
• perform minor repair and maintenance to buildings/utilities
• provide garbage collection, general facility maintenance/sanitation
• operate and repair a variety of heavy and light powered equipment such as tractor with attachments, riding lawn mowers, chain saws and hand tools
• carry out facility inspection for security/damage
• promote compliance with park rules and regulations
• provide information and direction to staff and colleagues
• advise, report and record problems, violations and complaints
How do I qualify?
- You must have a valid class ‘G’ driver’s licence or equivalent, as recognized by the Province of Ontario. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver’s licence upon being hired.
- You have the ability to work shifts, weekends and statutory holidays as per schedule.
- You possess knowledge of operating standards for the maintenance and sanitation of general building facilities and utility maintenance.
- You are knowledgeable of the operation and maintenance of powered equipment such as lawnmowers, chainsaws and small hand tools.
• You have knowledge of and the ability to apply and interpret relevant regulations, acts, policies and procedures (i.e Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, etc.).
- You possess demonstrated communication skills to provide information and direction to staff and colleagues.
- You have interpersonal and customer service skills to deal with clients, staff and park visitors.
- You have organizational skills and proven ability to complete projects within acceptable timeframes and deal with competing demands.
- You demonstrate an ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
To read the full job description please click here.
How to apply:
You must apply online.
Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Application Deadline is Tuesday, February 23, 2021 11:59 pm EST. Late applications will not be accepted.